Saturday, December 20, 2008

Save Handmade Toys from CPSIA

Some of you may have already heard of the new upsetting laws passed. If not, the CPSC passed (with good intentions) the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act, which is requiring costly mandatory testing on ALL handmade children's products. That means in a few months all handmade products (targeted at children 12 and under) will no longer be available. Many people will be effected by this: mom's who made beautiful hair accessories, toys, blankets, etc. Without investing thousands of dollars on tests just to prove that toys that never had a single toxic chemical in them still don't have a toxic chemical. 


Here's what you can do to help:

-Find you congress person and senators and write a letter like the sample here. Particularly if they serve on the House Subcommittee on Commerce, Trade and Consumer Protection, or the House Committee on Small Business
-Vote for amending the law on Change.org. With enough votes it will be presented to President Obama in January.

Please help us save our small businesses.

5 comments:

Jake and Jordan Johnson said...

Oh my goodness! I haven't heard anything about this! That's terrible!

Jake and Jordan Johnson said...

Actually...I just haven't touched my phone in a day or so. And...we still haven't had him...he just likes where he is too much. :) We sure wish he would come out already!!! We'll let you guys know though when we do have him.

Aimee Jones said...

Hi Whitney! This is your old SVU roomate..for like a month :) I saw your blog address on facebook and just wanted to say hi and looks like ya'll are doing really well! Back in Texas I see- I couldn't stay away either ;)

Middletonfamily said...

I have been wanting to tell you a funny story. We got together with Matt,Amber and Ana last week and Nathan asked Amber "Are you Whitney"? It was funny! I think he heard us talking about the people we know at SVC.

Amber said...

As you can see I finally met the Middletons! I feel like I haven't talked to you guys forever! How are you guys doing? Do you miss BV yet? :)